American Heritage Dictionary -
ar·chive (är'kīv') Pronunciation Key
1. A place or collection containing records, documents, or other materials of historical interest. Often used in the plural: old land deeds in the municipal archives.
2. Computer Science
1. A long-term storage area, often on magnetic tape, for backup copies of files or for files that are no longer in active use.
2. A file containing one or more files in compressed format for more efficient storage and transfer.
3. A repository for stored memories or information: the archive of the mind.
Will NetApp partner with anyone for the long term? It is a reasonable question to ask from a company that wants to provide you with a long term data archive solution. A simple search on Google reveals a few contradictions as to whether there is a long term commitment from NetApp regarding partnerships.
10:41 AM EDT Mon. Jul. 21, 2003
"CRN Interview: Dan Warmenhoven, Network Appliance
By Joseph F. Kovar
Last week, Network Appliance said it would for the first time sell products through distribution--via agreements with Arrow Electronics' North American Computer Products group and Avnet Hall-Mark--to serve the bulk of its existing solution provider community and to attract more channel partners. Company CEO Dan Warmenhoven spoke to CRN Senior Editor Joseph F. Kovar about the distribution move, the channel and EMC/Legato.
CRN: Why the push through distribution?
Warmenhoven: It's the next stage in expanding our channel partnerships. Over the last few years, we've developed a set of global partnerships with firms like IBM Global Services and Accenture. Last year, we got into what we consider 'Star' partners like Forsythe, Datalink and a few others. And we just felt it was time to move on to the next stage.
We've had a number of regional VARs, probably in the neighborhood of about 100, that we have developed in parallel with our Star partners. And it was really time to provide a consolidated way to interface with them and provide additional support to them. "
05 November, 2007 12:38:14
"NetApp cuts distribution ties with Avnet and Lan 1 in favour of a sole partnership with SAN Systems"
kayleigh bateman, CRN 05 Nov 2007
"NetApp looks to boost channel sales
Vendor looks to increase 60 per cent rate"
A data archive is going to take a long term commitment to parts and service, therefore researching your storage solution vendors commitments to long term partnerships should reveal whether they will be able to provide parts and service for the long term.
Therefore I suggest 2 simple questions that you ask your storage archive salesperson....
1) How long will I be able to purchase parts for this system after I put it in service, will you commit to parts availability for 7 or 10 years?
2) Mr Vendor does your service and support commitment match the American Heritage definition?